- Ruby version 1.8.7*, 1.9.x*, or 2.0.0p0
- Bundler version 1.0 or higher
- Either MySQL or PostgreSQL
* Wagn 1.13, due out in March, will be the last version to support ruby versions lower than 1.9.3.
1. install the gem
gem install wagn
Watch carefully for errors!
2. create your new wagn application
Here we'll create one named "mysite":wagn new mysite
3. create / seed your database
Edit the config/database.yml file as necessary. More about database configuration at http://www.wagn.org/database_configuration.
Then run...cd mysite
..to create and seed the database
4. start your server
To fire up the default, built-in WEBrick server, just run:wagn server
...and point your browser to http://localhost:3000 (unless otherwise configured).
WEBrick is great for a quick test run. To run a production website, see http://www.wagn.org/wagn_in_production.
If your Wagn was installed from a gem, follow these steps:
1. create backups
Always back up your database and uploaded files.
2. update your gems
From your wagn root directory run:bundle update
3. update your database
Run the following:rake wagn:migrate
As with all rake commands, you can try prefacing with "bundle exec" if you encounter gem problems.
4. restart your server.
Upgrading Older sites
If your Wagn was NOT installed from a gem, then first check the Wagn version of your existing site:
Version 1.10 or newer
- Create a new Wagn app using steps 1 and 2 from the installation section above.
- Copy config/database.yml from the old site to the new one.
- Copy the old local/files contents to the new files directory.
- If you have edited config/wagn.yml in your old site, make the corresponding changes to the new config/application.rb file.
- Follow the standard upgrade procedure above.
Older than Version 1.10
First update your Wagn to version 1.10 via the old update mechanisms, and then follow the directions above.
Advanced Installation / Troubleshooting
If you're going to let unregistered users add/edit/comment on cards, we recommend that you use captcha.The default installation instructions will tell you how to get Wagn working with Rails' built-in webserver, Webrick. Webrick is great for kicking the Wagn wheels, but not ...
Installation Support / Questions and Answers
Wagneering - Online Configuration
Once your Wagn is installed and running, there are a number of configuration options which can be set up through the web interface, just follow the home page or sidebar links to "Config". You can read more here about configuration: